Come a little closer, and let me whisper into your ear... yes... that's right.

...my portfolio website is in the making, but in the meantime, feel free to browse this blog as well as the online shoppe...

Saturday, June 26, 2010

The San Francisco Chronicles: How do you do, Mister Warhol?

{Originally written on June 9th }

The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art {SFMOMA} was absolutely ridiculous yesterday. I mean, I'm used to being surrounded by art. I'm used to expressionism and impressionism, Monet, Manet, yadda yadda. But up until yesterday I have never felt that I was truly connected to art.

At the museum, it seemed as though each piece was made for me, that there was some minute detail in each painting and work that the artist put there just so I would notice. I've always loved art. It's what I live, what I breathe, what I want to accomplish some day. But never before have I yearned to be such a part of it than when I did yesterday. It was such an amazing feeling. And, as of now, Modern art is by far my favorite genre. It makes you think more than any other kind of art.

With non-abstract art, you can easily tell the storyline and the emotion that the artist was trying to portray. With modern art, it is up to the viewer to make the conclusions and there are no limits set. No rules, no boundaries, nada. With abstract art, you must put yourself in the shoes of the artist. You must ask yourself "What am I trying to portray?" "What is the emotion I am feeling as I am creating this?" "What message am I sending the viewer? What do I want them to get out of it?"

It is a difficult ans somewhat tedious process, but wholly worth it in the end. I love dissecting art!

I was all together, my emotions controlled, until I reached the only Warhol in the museum: His self portrait, 1967.


Rather simple, easily duplicatible, but for some reason, I fell apart inside. I think that all too often we think of art as something we can't achieve or something we would never be good at. But Warhol proved the opposite. His paintings were simple, screen-prints, some even by other people under his name. Yet it was still art. And it is still beautiful. Every human is capable of art. We just have to put forth a little bit of effort and most importantly remain open-minded to other people's opinions and let our imaginations go!

I felt like all of the problems of the world, all of the struggles that I had been going through recently, could be solved by me looking at this painting. Terribly cheesy, I know. But I felt such an amazing to this painting. I felt that if I missed some tiny detail in this painting, I would deeply regret it later. This was a once in a lifetime deal, and I might never get to experience a painting by Andy Warhol again in my life. I had a bond with this painting. I must have stared at it for ten minutes.

It was unlike any human bond I have ever experienced.

-Lexi.

{Other SFMOMA favorites to come later.}

No comments: