Come a little closer, and let me whisper into your ear... yes... that's right.

...my portfolio website is in the making, but in the meantime, feel free to browse this blog as well as the online shoppe...

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hallows

This morning, I woke up and took my dog outside. It was nearly seven-thirty and I had been the only one awake in my house for quite some time. It was dark, yet day lit, and the sun struggled to be in view past the ombre clouds overhead. I wore no shoes, and the cold grass wrapped itself in between my toes.

The trees surrounding me were muted marvels of the brightest yellows and the deepest auburns, and cast the loveliest ochre hue over the entire yard. I just stood there, basking in the beauties of the earth that we live in. We are all very blessed.

Normally I find inspiration in materialistic things: A films, a song, a painting, a toaster, whatever. But have you ever noticed the mounds of insurmountable inspiration we find in the earth that surrounds us? Nothing generic. Just simple and raw. Nature is talented all on its own, it needs no help from the media or human society. No exploitation. It is just there. It thrives with no aids, and we take it for granted. Nature is the under appreciated step-sibling. The thing you always know is there, but you never truly miss it until it is gone.

This week my sister dared me to take part in a Facebook fast: no facebook for an entire week. I never thought I would become one of those people that thrives off of a comment, a like, or a message. But sadly, I have. I am a rather antisocial person and I enjoy being caught up in other people's interactions without having to actually interact with them. At first this fasting was difficult. I was many times tempted to get online and 'socialize' with others. I never realized how much I was actually addicted to social networking. Silly really, but it is almost as if I needed it to get through the day.

Now, it has only been a few days since I began fasting, but I have already noticed a difference in myself. I have found more productive things to do {i.e: drawing, reading, getting a head start on schoolwork.} and feel I am not as stressed when I am not facebooking. I rather enjoy living without it. And this morning is when it all came full-circle. I've been too consumed in my life and the virtual lives of others to even care about anything going on around me.

Sometimes we have to get away from all the drama in life to stay grounded. This morning I rediscovered that ground, whether it be metaphorically or literally. I rediscovered the beauty of the world around us, and I hope that we can all remember that from time to time.

Technology is constantly changing. There is always something bigger and better to come on the vast pixelated horizon. But the leaves always stay the same. They always grow green in the summer, and turns marvelous colors in the fall. We can't trust this vast cyber-sphere, but nature is always dependable. Sometimes, you just need to let go of the approval of others and become one with it.

-Lexi

No comments: